Wedding Trends that We Like, Don’t Like and New Ideas…
See if you agree with us on wedding trends we like, don’t like, and even some new wedding ideas…
Wedding Trends We’re Totally Over:
- Bird Cages
- Black and white weddings
- Peacock Weddings
- Over the top wedding cakes
- Don’t kill us, but … and this is new for us … the candy bar – loved it for a while but need some new ideas now
Old Wedding Trends We’ve Been Over:
- Having someone read the “Love is” poem at your wedding (Srsly – there must be some other sentimental or creative reading material out there)
- Having cake at your wedding reception (we can still hear our m-in-law yelling “put the cake in her face, put the cake in her face” *shudder*)
- Ivory satin ring bearer pillows
- Ivory satin flower girl baskets
- Men / boys wearing tuxes (however, etiquette dictates wardrobe based on the time of day and the level of formality)
- Cheesy wedding card boxes
- Using inexpensive paper invitations (there’s a lot better ways to cut costs)
- Wearing white pearls
- Stationed hors d’oeuvres (always should be passed / served – generally less expensive this way also)
- Idea of framing a poster of guest signatures (you’ll never use or want something that large hanging up in your house after a few months of being married – trust us on this one)
- Destination bachelor /bachelorette parties – seriously, aren’t you already spending enough money?!
- Fancy / traditional guest books
- Having a morning after the wedding brunch (Hell no – get out of town asap – if you can’t afford a fancy honeymoon just go away for 2-3 days)
What do you prefer your groom / groomsmen to wear? – etiquette really drives this decision – it’s dependent on time of day and the level of formality.
Wedding Trends we Love:
- Bird Cage Veils / Unique headpieces
- Shorter Wedding dresses
- Creative Signs
- Giving Flasks as Groomsmen Gifts
- Creative Photography (anything unpredictable)
- Creative / Fun / Out of the box “Save the Dates” (although this is a budget buster)
- Tissue paper pom poms or paper lanterns
- Colorful bowties or neckties for the groomsmen / ring bearer
- Incorporating your dog into your ceremony (love this!)
New Ideas for Weddings (not sure if they’re new but they’re not over-used):
- Silhouette wedding: the wedding invite has the bride’s silhouette only – the wedding menus, table assignment cards and thank yous have both silhouettes on them. Silhouettes can be any color. Very inexpensive to have done – check Etsy.
- Coat of Arms wedding: the wedding invite has the bride’s family’s coat-of-arms on it – the wedding menus, table assignment cards and thank yous have the groom’s coat-of-arms on them.
- Family style meals served at reception.
- Mixing gold and silver in a clever way.
- Incorporating tangerine, mint, some of the “it” colors of the year.
- Home made guest book – put pics not only of the new couple in it but also pics of guests who will be at the wedding with the couple over the years. Buy a book with plain pages (no lines) add a ribbon or theme to the cover and let the guests write messages in it. It becomes a keepsake.
- Gray pearl necklace and jewelry for bride and/or bridesmaids
- Having the bachelor / bachelorette party the night before the rehersal dinner (when everyone can just fly in one day earlier)